Whenever I tell people around me that I’m vegan, most of them thought that I live a ‘healthy’ lifestyle by eating salads and anything with quinoa. Truth be told, I wasn’t actually living healthy. I enjoy a lot of fried food, cups of white rice, and vegetable chips on a regular basis.
Despite my love for fried food, I know that I just couldn’t eat the same thing everyday because it’s obviously NOT OKAY to do so. I may eat more veggies than most people, but I always have to remind myself to eat more greens. I’m fortunate that my mom and my boyfriend always bring fruits and vegetables at home so I just grab a mango or a slice of papaya when I’m hungry (or when I feel lazy to cook).
Being the only vegan in our family, I have to prepare my own meals and there are times I need to be creative especially when I cook for other people. I know that these are just some of the struggles shared by some vegans and by those who are still transitioning to veganism, so I wanted to share what I ate in a week to help those who run out of ideas on what to eat
and to shed light to those who thought I only eat salads.
A few warnings before I begin:
- I’m a cheapskate.
- I’m very lazy when it comes to preparing my food.
- I don’t live a “healthy” lifestyle. I enjoy fried food and lots of carbohydrates.
Also, no animals were harmed in the making of my meals.
- Breakfast: Fried oyster mushrooms, kimchi, rice
- Lunch: Eggplant adobo, rice
- Dinner: 2 large slices of papayas and 2 santol (cottonfruit)
- Breakfast: Fried tofu in soy sauce + 2 cups of rice
- Lunch: Mudpie vegan gelato from Gelato On The Road (in my defense, I wasn’t that hungry after that heavy breakfast!)
- Dinner: Stir-fry bihon guisado (vegetable rice noodles) + 2 slices of bread
- Breakfast: Breaded tofu, kimchi, rice
- Lunch: 3 ripe mangoes
- Dinner: 2 ripe mangoes (LOL I know, this is too much!) + 2 santol (cottonfruit)
- Breakfast: Fried oyster mushrooms + rice
- Lunch: Stir-fry cabbage, rice
- Snacks: Fried bananas (I actually ate more than 5!)
- Dinner: Vegan Law-uy (Visayan vegetable stew), rice
- Brunch: Breaded “chicken” tofu sandwich + a mango
- Snacks: More mangoes + rice (sorry, I just love mangoes!)
- Dinner: Vegan monggo guisado (mung beans), fried oyster mushrooms + rice
- Breakfast: Fried potatoes
- Lunch: 3 slices of papaya
- Dinner: Fried bananas, chichashroom + rice
- Midnight snack: Peanuts and more chichashroom
- Breakfast: String beans adobo + rice
- Lunch: Chowking’s tofu, kangkong (just ask the counter to remove the bagoong), and rice
- Dinner: Vegan rice porridge